A lot happened for the trucking industry in 2019. As we welcome the new year, we’re looking back on some of the most pivotal events, while looking forward to what the new year will bring.
- The overall number of U.S. traffic fatalities in the first 9 months of 2019 declined 2.2% as compared to the first 9 months of 2018, according to a preliminary estimate by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- The FMCSA increased its efforts to enhance safety, encouraging drivers and carriers to register in a federal Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse, which is a database of drivers who failed or cheated on their drug tests.
- On July 11th, LME, a Minnesota-based carrier, laid off hundreds of workers. As of October, it was still unclear if former LME employees would see the pay owed to them.
- On August 14th, the FMCSA issued a proposal to make changes to its hours-of-service rules that would increase truck drivers’ flexibility with their 30-minute rest break. The proposal also extends the duty time 2 hours for drivers encountering adverse weather.
- On December 9th, Celadon announced it was filing for bankruptcy and ceasing operations.
- The FMCSA increased the minimum annual percentage rate for random controlled substances testing from 25% of the average number of driver positions to 50%. This change takes effect on January 1, 2020.
With many ups and downs through 2019, we remain dedicated to providing our partners with premier transportation solutions that give them a strategic advantage. Our family-oriented atmosphere remains at the heart of our culture, and our devotion to safety excellence in all things we do ensures our employees have a career where they’re valued. Interested in joining a team driven by transportation excellence? Learn more here.
Lamb, Eleanor. “FMCSA Increases Random Drug Test Rate to 50% for 2020.” Transport Topics, 27 Dec. 2019, https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fmcsa-increases-random-drug-test-rate-50-2020.
Mahoney, Anneliese. “Timeline: Trucking’s Biggest Moments in 2019.” Transport Topics, 20 Dec. 2019, https://www.ttnews.com/articles/timeline-truckings-biggest-moments-2019.
Miller, Eric. “US Traffic Fatalities Declined 2.2% During First Nine Months of 2019.” Transport Topics, 23 Dec. 2019, https://www.ttnews.com/articles/us-traffic-fatalities-declined-22-during-first-nine-months-2019.
Perryman, Aaron. “The 2010s: A Decade of Ups and Downs in Trucking.” Transport Topics, 20 Dec. 2019, https://www.ttnews.com/articles/decade-ups-and-downs-trucking.
Topics, Transport. “2019 Top 10 Stories Reflect a Mixed Year for the Industry.” Transport Topics, 20 Dec. 2019, https://www.ttnews.com/articles/2019-top-10-stories-reflect-mixed-year-industry.